This recipe comes from Slothstradamus's food blog and can be found here: https://www.slothstradamus.com/quick-and-easy-pickled-onions/.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Inactive Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Dietary Information: Vegan-friendly, gluten-free, loaded with probiotics
- One medium red onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoons fine kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tsp peppercorns (optional)
Preparing the Onions:
- Thinly slice the medium red onion.
- Place the sliced onions in a mason jar (or another heat-safe container) and set it aside.
Creating the Pickling Mixture:
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons of honey, and 1.5 teaspoons of fine kosher salt.
- Mix the ingredients well and place the saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer.
Pouring the Mixture Over Onions:
- Remove the saucepan from heat once it simmers.
- Carefully pour the hot pickling mixture into the mason jar with the sliced onions from step 1.
Cooling and Storing:
- Allow the onions to cool to room temperature for approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately as a tangy addition to BBQ, tacos, salads, and more.
- Alternatively, cover and refrigerate the pickled onions to enjoy later.
- The pickled onions are at their best when consumed on the same day but can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.